Beloved Shirts reads your mind, puts it on a sweatshirt

You need more Eddie Murphy clothes.

I should be pissed that Provo, Utah's Beloved Shirts company has raided my Internet search records, but I'll focus on just being happy that now I can buy that Goldfish crackers crewneck sweatshirt of my dreams.

Chances are that you will also find your favorite obsession screen-printed onto a Beloved sweatshirt or cell phone cover in the brand's online store -- be that Adventure Time, Totoro, Shark Week, or Oprah. The standard memes are there -- hey Grumpy Cat, nice galaxy -- but also more timeless designs, like a cascade of diamonds, Michael Jordan dunking, howling whales

To make sure that Beloved wasn't just a highly adapted, Facebook Ads-like, clothes-making version of spamware, I fired off a few email interview questions to the proprietors. A guy named Jeremiah Robison founded the company last winter, and as a company rep named Coby told me, "we have been loving the ride ever since."

When asked to describe the brand's aesthetic, Coby told me it was "current and fun." Luckily, I think you'll find that Beloved's aesthetic is pretty easily grokkable for anyone with decent mouse control and a Vine account.

SFBG: Describe your visioning process when it comes to your garment design.

Coby: We try to envision designs that will look incredible and will shock people in a pleasant way.  We love the different options that all over print design offer, and the freedom that this gives to us and our designers.

SFBG: Has anyone ever fallen in love with you upon seeing you in one of your designs? I imagine these things provoke some strong reactions.

C: They do provoke some strong reactions.  [Robison] has worn them all over town, including to soccer games, the grocery store, dinner, and dates with his wife. The reactions people give are one of the pleasures of the brand.

SFBG: Who would be your dream celebrity to clothe?

C: The dream celebrity? Tony Hawk! Or Jay-Z.

SFBG: How do you define the kind of people/pop culture items/everyday things that wind up on your clothes? General aesthetic, bla bla.

C: [We define our look] as current and fun. There is a certain excitement to our sweaters, so we try to bring that into our images and designs. Inspiration can come from anywhere.

Coby explicitly added that the brand is open to your thoughts on what their next design should be. My list: Earvin Johnson III, a kalidescope spread of steroid ferrets, and more Goldfish crackers.

Ah! And perhaps you were looking for something to wear to the Internet Cat Video Festival? You can still cop this sweatshirt and phone case on the site:

Comments

I have ordered from Beloved 2 times now. Once I ordered last year near October and it did take a very long time to receive my items. The second time was within the past month and I got my shirts much quicker. I am extremely happy with the products. The colors are fantastic and the quality of the shirts are high. I am glad to see the company taking all of this feedback and actually doing something about it. I've talked with customer service and got through the first time I called. They were so nice.

Posted by Guest on Apr. 29, 2014 @ 9:40 am

I've heard many times that Beloved has terrible service and the quality of clothes is awful, so I ordered from Fusion clothing. Everything is on the high level!
I got my ideal high-quality full print sweatshirt on time!
Guys, I really recommend them!!! http://fusion-store.com/en/shop/sexy-sweaters.html

Posted by Guest on Apr. 14, 2014 @ 5:34 am

I placed my order on November 20th. NEVER received shirt. I have emailed several times with a promise to ship my shirt. February 9th....STILL NO SHIRT!!! I want a REFUND!!!!!

Posted by Guest on Feb. 09, 2014 @ 8:48 pm

I love Beloved - and the people I have communicated with have always been so nice to me and respond very quickly. They treat me like their friend, and not a customer. Everything I have received from them I love and always get a lot of attention when I wear it. Their sweatshirts are FAB!

Posted by TrillChick on Feb. 05, 2014 @ 2:25 pm

I just read through the comments and I am surprised that people complain about how they take so long and charge your card yet they tell you that in the product listing on their site. IN RED TEXT AT THE TOP OF THE PAGE!

They do have a Ready to Post section and I bought 3 sweatshirts from there, got them in less than a WEEK! (Ordered on a Saturday and they were at my house Friday) -I am very pleased. One of them the design didn't match the website image very well but that is my only complaint- I still love the sweatshirts and I will be buying from them again.

Posted by Guest on Feb. 05, 2014 @ 2:08 pm

They charged me, sent me the wrong stuff, and refuse to correct it. From looking at other reviews it seems commonplace. Must be run by incompetent people.

Posted by Guest on Jan. 25, 2014 @ 8:10 am

How's it going "Terrible Service"? I'm sure SFBG doesn't want us to handle customer issues on their site, so would you email me with your order number and issue please? marketing@belovedshirts.com. I've never heard of a situation that we refused to fix, so I'm sure we can find a solution that suits you.

Posted by Coby on Feb. 05, 2014 @ 2:07 pm

Does anyone have any idea of the phone number??

Posted by Josh on Jan. 18, 2014 @ 8:40 am

Reading the comments above validate my experience with Beloved Shirts. I hate bashing a company publicly, but this time I feel that others should know. The lack of communication and falsely promising hasty shipment led to a disappointed customer - especially during the holiday season. Highly suggest not ordering if you need merchandise immediately; give yourself at least 1 month for arrival. Expect a delay in response and do not try to call the number listed...no human on the other end. This company is very new and still has a long way to go to prove to be reliable.

Posted by Guest on Dec. 26, 2013 @ 8:11 am

Thanks for the feedback. I totally agree, don't order something if you need your merchandise immediately. We have specific language on each page and product in an attempt to help customers understand the process. I'm really sorry your experience was poor, we really do have a long way to go, but are working as hard as possible to get there.

Here's an update:

1. In response to the holidays, we've since hired four new people to handle customer service channels.

2. 801-900-3104 is the phone number

Posted by Coby on Feb. 05, 2014 @ 2:14 pm

I ordered from this company back in November and they will not return a phone call or respond to any emails. They did however charge my credit card for items that have not been shipped. I would not order from these people again. They keep your money but do not fill your orders. Now I will be fighting with my credit card company for the charges.

Posted by Guest on Dec. 18, 2013 @ 8:39 am

I'm really sorry that you didn't receive an answer to your phone call. We've always issued refunds the day they were asked for, so there shouldn't have been any trouble getting one.

Here's an update about our customer service department:

1. In response to the overwhelming amount of communication we received during the holidays, we've since hired four new people to handle customer service channels.

2. 801-900-3104 is the phone number

Posted by Coby on Feb. 05, 2014 @ 2:16 pm

Posted by Guest on Dec. 18, 2013 @ 8:39 am

I placed an order with them on October 1st, and it is now Nov 12. Their site promises delivery within 20 days. When I wrote them asking when I could expect to receive the item, they said something about the 'trials and tribulations' of being a new company (which, according to this article, is now almost two years old). Not thrilled, because I ordered it for someone's birthday. I suggest waiting a few more years while they "work on getting [their] manufacturing times down" (quote from email).

Posted by Guest on Nov. 12, 2013 @ 4:06 am

Thanks for the feedback. This past year has definitely been rocky. We always strive to be transparent, as well as responsible for what is going on, so thank you for the comment.

Posted by Coby on Feb. 05, 2014 @ 2:24 pm

I placed an order with them one July 25th and still have not received it on October 22nd. So I wouldn't bother to order from them if I were you. They have this kind of stuff at urban outfitters now, I think.

Posted by Guest on Oct. 22, 2013 @ 8:04 am

I'm really sorry! That is way too long. I'm sure our customer service department has taken care of you already, but if they haven't, please let me know and I'll hook it up: marketing@belovedshirts.com

Posted by Coby on Feb. 05, 2014 @ 2:31 pm