Will Microsoft or Sony win the battle for consumer love? Gamer tests out the new consoles.
Which leaves the question, what do you want from your "next-gen" console? If you're in the market for a new device, you're not wrong to expect improved graphics or increased resolution and frame rate. You want games to look better. And that's at least partially there if you want it, but it doesn't seem to be the current focus for either machine. Even on the PS4, the visual leap we're seeing right now isn't worth the $400 asking price, and the lower-spec'd Xbox One is tagged at a whopping $500 for a system bundled with Kinect.
In spite of all the internet furor spouted by gamers in the past few months about sub-standard resolution and graphics, perhaps Microsoft and Sony both realize the real coup is getting people who aren't gamers to buy these consoles. In that area, Xbox One's ambition to do more than play games is a risky pursuit, but one that could make all the difference for consumers who have only a passing interest in traditional gaming.
Time will tell which console resonates more with the public and some day financial reports aplenty will give us a definitive resolution on which console is more successful. But calling this a "console war" is more than a little sensational. Both the PlayStation 4 and the Xbox One currently offer incrementally better experiences than their previous-gen counterparts, and the world of popular consumer electronics has proven a little better is often just enough. *
Most Commented On
- Commitment matters - March 8, 2014
- You and I have different values - March 8, 2014
- Oh yes - that paragon of virtue, ambulance chaser Chris Dolan... - March 7, 2014
- eKwimShrzRLu - March 7, 2014
- You're kidding right? Brown - March 7, 2014
- fyi, marcos, AAA has a dismal record on motorists' rights - March 7, 2014
- Christopher Dolan AGAIN? - March 7, 2014
- So criticizing someone who - March 7, 2014
- Funny, I felt the same way about Jerry Brown - March 7, 2014
- So in other words you feel - March 7, 2014